Join us in person or on Zoom at 6PM
We are in person again if you choose please check Char’s suggestions and requirements for masking or vaccination.
Time: May 18, 2022 – 6:00pm Pacific Time – Duration 1hr or less.
May 18, 2022 – Regular Meeting
- Unceded Traditional Territory Acknowledgement 6:00
- Unfinished Business and Current Topics
- Update on City OCP
- Upcoming Events – 6:20
- Canada Day Parade – Chris is putting together Entry – Need to know: How big a space do we need? How many vehicles will there be? Press intro will mention CA/BikeValet and FG/Gleaning + Edna Dedication.
- Canada Day Festivities at Harbour Quay – Offer Bike Valet (it should be in parade too?). Chris will talk to Canada Day and City about Valet Location
- Sub Group Reports –
- Education and Networking
- Showed First We Eat at April Meeting, truly local food
- Fracking the Peace, co-host with Stand.Earth
- Upcoming Movies? May 18, a 40 minute feature on community energy
- Food Group / Food Hub
- Updates on Summer Programs, etc.
- Cycle Alberni
- Spring GoByBike
- Ocean Friendly PA
- Next Event?
- Watershed – Vancouver Island Water Watch Coalition
- Somass River Estuary Group
- Planning Another Weekend Walkabout – Community gathering/presentation about it at June AVTT meeting?
- Affiliated Groups (welcome to share if present) 6:45
- Alberni Climate Action
- Alberni Valley Nature Club
- Other Groups
- Finances – 6:50
- New Business and Other Fun Stuff!
- Burde Street Ponds
- ADJOURN – 7:00PM or before
Next Regular Meeting is June 15, 2022
April 2022 Minutes
AVTTS General Meeting April 20, 2022
6:03 in session
Moved Dan Second John Agenda approved
OCP update, Gail: Kevin Brooks ill, delayed, not scotched.
Nanaimo Food Sustainability, Forward Nanaimo, 75% of food on VI used to be local, now 4-5 %.
Canada Day, Fall Fair as upcoming events
Chris to contact Ruttans and Sam
April 20 First WE Eat screening
April 26 Fracking the Peace
Food group direction meeting
Met April 6 and 13th Next meeting April 25th
Top priority is hiring a Food Group Manager.
Starting to organize the gleaning project for the 2022 season. Hoping to get a summer student to support this work.
We have contracted Tina Windsor, a new member of the group to write an operations manual to support onboarding the Food Group Manager and new group members.
We received a grant to support the Food Rx program. Anna Lewis will organize this project.
We received and reviewed the Strategic Work Plan from Jeanette Sheehy.
FG hiring a coordinator, Jeanette prepared consultant’s report. Janis is finalizing posting to hire mid May
Gleaning looking to hire a summer student, planning for equipment storage. Writingoperations manual.
Food Rx is going ahead, grow local is doing videos with Shaw, erupting newsletter with summer gardening tips. Heather and Anna becoming more active in the group.
Cycle Alberni report per the agenda.
Ian will talk to Planning. 10 teacher to recruit student leaders for elementary programs.
Ocean Friendly April 30 Waterfront Cleanup
Nature Club Beaver Ponds Walk, lots of invasive species control, ivy etc.
ACA Rob Dickinson on waste water systems, meeting on coho and tires.
Parks and rec to help with mitigation.
Saturday April 23 making grocery bags with recycled cloth from Thrift shops.
Adjourned @ 6:50