Want to Volunteer with the Gleaning Project?
Volunteers can be involved in
- HELPING TO HARVEST AND SORT FRUIT/NUTS/VEGGIES
- SAFELY MOVING LADDERS AND BOXES OF FRUIT AT SITE
- CLEANING UP WASTE FRUIT AND DEBRIS FROM BENEATH TREES
- TRANSPORTING LADDERS AND EQUIPMENT TO AND FROM THE PICK SITE
- KEEPING AN EYE ON SAFETY AND PROCEDURE DURING HARVESTING
- WEIGHING AND RECORDING HARVESTED FRUIT
- DROPPING OFF FRUIT DONATIONS
- SHARE 1/3 OF THE HARVESTED FRUIT
- PAY THE $10 GLEANING MEMBERSHIP FEE
What is expected of Volunteers
- BRING YOUR OWN BOXES TO TAKE HOME YOUR SHARE OF THE FRUIT
- RESPECT THE HOMEOWNER AND THEIR PROPERTY
- RESPECT THE OTHER VOLUNTEERS AND THE PROJECT COORDINATORS
- ONLY PICK WHAT IS REQUESTED
- ONLY ENTER SOMEONES PROPERTY WITH PERMISSION
- TREAT TREES WITH CARE (NO CLIMBING/SHAKING)
- RAKE THE GROUND/CLEAN UP WHEN DONE
- BE AN AMBASSADOR FOR THE PROJECT!
HOW DOES IT ALL WORK?
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
PAY GLEANING MEMBERSHIP FEE
Once we receive your payment you will be given access to our online resources and be able to sign up for pick events. Pay at the PayPal link at the bottom of the form, or below,
or contact the coordinator for more payment options.
ATTEND AN ORIENTATION SESSION
Each volunteer must attend an orientation session. At orientation you will learn about pick safety, how to use our online resources, and how pick events are run. It is a great opportunity to meet other volunteers.
SCHEDULE YOUR PICKS
Email or phone the coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your picks.
MARK THE DATES
Mark your pick dates on your calendar.
Contact the homeowner and other volunteers a few days before the pick to make sure the pick is still happening and that you know where to go.
PREPARE FOR PICK DAY
Set aside boxes to put fruit in and prepare any other material you may need for picking.
PICK SOME FRUIT
Go to the pick events that you have signed up for.
FILL OUT A PICK LOG
After you have finished each pick make sure you fill out a pick log so that we can keep track of who, what, where, and when.