Following are the answers given by the candidate. See other candidates
1. What actions have you personally taken to support a more sustainable climate?
Downsized to a compact car that is fuel efficient
Do multiple errands during the same trip
Growing fruit tress in my back yard
Have a vegetable garden
Shop at local farmers markets
I have recently purchased a composter
2. What opportunities do you see at your municipal/electoral area/school board level to reduce greenhouse gas emissions?
There may be an opportunity to apply for funding through the FCM Green Municipal Fund to install additional charging stations throughout the city
Continue to promote the current recycling program
Build multi modal pathways
Develop a master plan for the community for bike paths
Continue the yearly tree planting program
3. What will you do, if elected, to overcome polarization in local politics around the challenges of climate change and to build a middle ground that encourages listening, understanding, and consensus that can move climate change action forward?
Effective communication with the residents of the city to encourage all of us taking personal responsibility for reversing the climate change crisis. If we all do a little bit, it all adds up!
Encourage a more effective partnership and communication between the City and the Alberni Valley Transition Town Society
Setting immediate, short term and long term goals for the city to work towards changes in order to encourage and lead climate change within our community
4. What opportunities do you see for climate leadership in the following sectors? Please pick at least two.
Transportation, Housing, Land use and Development, Equity.
Housing – Encourage developers to use the Step 3 building code
Land Use – Encourage high density infill development
5. If elected, what would your first action be toward reducing greenhouse gases in your area of responsibility?
Requesting that the Economic Development Manager summit a grant proposal requesting funding for additional charging stations for our community
Ask the Manager of Engineering to work on a Master Plan for bike paths
6. The climate emergency requires long term thinking and planning. How do you envision a climate sustainable City/Electoral Area/School District, 50 years from now?
Fossil fuel cars are obsolete. Everyone is using electric cars, e-bikes and e-scooters. Multi modal pathways are common place. More people are walking and biking.