Project 529 is an online bicycle registration system operating throughout North America. Using a free smartphone app, users can register their bicycles by taking photos and recording the serial number. This makes it significantly more likely that a recovered bicycle will be returned to its owner. Check out the resources below for more info or visit the Project 529 website.
Acquiring clear, location-specific, and quantitative data on cycling hazards, collisions, and near misses is important for improving safety for cyclists and understanding areas of danger or concern in Port Alberni.
Cycle Alberni is partnering with BikeMaps.org to collect this data for Port Alberni. We encourage people riding bicycles to use the simple interactive tools on this website to record hazards that they see and experience while riding around town.
There are five simple steps to inputting data:
- Go to BikeMaps.org (or download the iOS app or Android app)
- Zoom in on the map to the area of concern
- Click on the map marker (tear drop shape) on the left side of the screen
- Click where you had the incident, and
- Record the information (collision, near miss, hazard)
Have questions or want to learn more about the data? Contact Bike Maps at firstname.lastname@example.org.