Category Archives: Groups

AVTT MONTHLY MEETING – 6PM OCT 16 – MOVIE AT 7PM!

(Note this Agenda may change as members communicate additional items before the meeting is started and agenda approved)

AVTT October 16, 2019 – Preliminary Agenda – 6:00PM – Char’s Landing

  1. Acknowledgement of unceded territory – 6:00PM
  2. Greetings and Introductions – 6:05PM
  3. Movie After the Meeting –> Local Food Webs, Exploring Systems of Distribution (Films For Action series Planet Local )
  4. Approval of Agenda – 6:10PM
  5. Approval of Minutes – 6:15PM (below)
  6. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Community Mapping project – Meg/John
  7. Upcoming Events – 6:30
    • ACRD Transit meeting (happening concurrently at ACRD office! 4-7PM)
  8. Reports and Sub-Groups – 6:35
    • Education and Networking
    • Food Group / Food Hub
      – Gleaning
    • Cycle Alberni
      • Bike lock/valet
    • Housing
    • Watershed Protection – Fraser Response
    • Other Groups and Reports
  9. Finances – 6:50
    • Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts – Rob
  10. New Business and Other Fun Stuff! –
    • Carbon Offset Pool
  11. ADJOURN – 7:00PM

Minutes from September

                                             Alberni Valley Transition Town Society

                                             Board Meeting – September 18,  2019  

                                                                 MINUTES

Present:  Chris Alemany, Bob Brown, Edna Cox, Mark Dawson, Minnie Hornidge, Laura Humphries,

               Rob Powelson, Dan Schubart,  Lesley Shams

Chris opened the meeting at 6 p.m., acknowledging that we meet on the unceded territory of the

                Tseshaht and Hupacasath peoples.

1.  Welcome greetings were offered and introductions were made.

2.  Tonight’s film – Bill Moyers’ interview with Wendell Berry

3.  Approval of the agenda was moved by Chris, seconded by Edna. Carried.

4.  Approval of the minutes of the previous meeting, June 19th, was moved by Edna, seconded by Rob.

        Carried.

5.  Unfinished Business

         a)  Fall Fair review – Because of cost, space limitations and paucity of volunteers, we will man

                 only one booth in 2020, in the Agriculture Building, but not the Glenwood Building.

                – Set-up and take-down went well.  Electric power and wifi capability are desired.

                –  We should begin now to collect impactful visual materials which highlight what we

                are trying to accomplish, and createour own portable booth using lattice panels,  

                which could be set up at other venues.

               – Chris will send thanks to Jim Lawson and the volunteers.

         b)  Community Food Mapping – no report

         c)  Telephone numbers for current directors were collected by Chris.

         d)  Directors Insurance application – Chris, Dan and Rob will work on this and bring to the

                 next  meeting.

          e)  Social Planning Council –  No decision re AVTTS’ reply has yet been reached.

7.  Upcoming Events

          a)  Global Climate Strike, September 20 – 27 –  We need to follow the lead of young people.

                Lesley will ask Anne Ostwald if ADSS students have plans whiuch AVTTS can support.

          b)  “Adapting Together: Climate Planning” – public event, September 30,  1– 4 p.m. , City Hall   

                 Committee Room.  To attend, RSVP citypa@portalberni.ca

         c)  City Transit Committee of the Whole –  A  meeting is in the offing, TBA.

                Dan suggested the pursuit of grants for more frequent and smaller buses, better routes .

8.  Reports and Sub-groups

         a)  Education and Networking

              i) Chris will contact Amber Stroder, North Island College, about her Climate Change toolkit

                 produced for another TT.

            ii)  Chris will circulate Sheri Plummer’s request for speakers about climate change.  Sheri

                is with Communities Protecting Our Coast.  See poster at www.beyondclimate.ca

         b)  Food Group –  Minutes of September 16 meeting were circulated on line.

       c)  Cycle Alberni – no report

       d)  Housing – no report

       e) Watershed Protection —  A meeting with Scott Fraser has been requested; no date as yet.

             A petition was available for signing at the Fall Fair.

       g)  Farm and Food Workers Initiative – Chris and Bob will talk further.

9.  Finances – Rob reported the bank balance:  Main/combined account  $10, 607.19

                                                                              AVTTS                       $4,925.85

                                                                              Food Group                   $778.95

                                                                              Grow Local                   $800.00

                                                                              Food Group Education  $629.99

                                                                              Gleaning                     $3,957.37

                                                                              Shawn Loney Group  $2,668.88

10.  New Business – Bob suggested that engaging grants for children and youth programs

            might attract more younbg people to AVTTS.

11.  The meeting was adjourned at 7 p.m.

                        NEXT MEETING –  OCTOBER 2019  – 6 p.m.  – Char’s Landing

AVTT Monthly Meeting – 6PM Sept 18 – MOVIE at 7PM!

(Note this Agenda may change as members communicate additional items before the meeting is started and agenda approved)

AVTT September 18, 2019 – Preliminary Agenda – 6:00PM – Char’s Landing

  1. Acknowledgement of unceded territory – 6:00PM
  2. Greetings and Introductions – 6:05PM
  3. Movie After the Meeting –> The Economics of Happiness, Planet Local.
  4. Approval of Agenda – 6:10PM
  5. Approval of Minutes – 6:15PM (below)
  6. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Fall Fair Feedback
    • Community Mapping project – Meg/John
    • Current phone # of Directors
    • Director Insurance Application
    • Social Planning Council
  7. Upcoming Events – 6:30
    • Global Climate Strike
    • City Port Alberni “Adapting Together” Climate Planning September 30 – 1-4PM at City Hall Committee Room. (See attached sheet) RSVP: citypa@portalberni.ca
    • City Transit CoW?
  8. Reports and Sub-Groups – 6:35
    • Education and Networking
      • North Island College
      • Sheri Plummer – Climate Talks (see attached poster)
    • Food Group / Food Hub Committee Report
    • Cycle Alberni
    • Housing
    • Watershed Protection
    • Other Groups and Reports
  9. Finances – 6:50
    • Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts – Rob
  10. New Business and Other Fun Stuff! –
  11. ADJOURN – 7:00PM

Minutes from June Meeting – Thank you Edna

Alberni Valley Transition Town Society Board Meeting – June 19, 2019

MINUTES

Present: Chris Alemany, Dan Schubart, Rob Powelson, Edna Cox, John Mayba, Mark Dawson, Bob Brown

Chris opened the meeting at 6:05 p.m. and acknowledged that we meet on the unceded territory of the Tseshaht and Hupacasath peoples.

Approval of the agenda: Dan moved, John seconded approval with the addition of one item: Traffic Advisory Committee meeting, June 19. Carried.

Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Edna moved, Rob seconded approval. Carried.

Unfinished Business

Community Mapping Project – no report

Upcoming Events

Canada Day Parade – AVTTS will not participate this year.
Fall Fair, September 5 through 8 – Space in the Glenwood Building has been booked. The Farmers Institute (Lisa Aylard, lead) will be in the Van Iperen Building, where AVTTS Food Hub Committee also intends to have a booth. Meg and Genevieve have attended Fall Fair meetings. An ad hoc committee was formed to plan AVTTS presence at the Fair: Dan, Chris, John ; Food Hub Committee will add another member.

City Committee of the Whole on Transit Services meets July 15, 4 p.m.
For information on the BC Transit survey, go to their website or see this week’s AV News.

Public meeting on Cathedral Grove solutions, June 20, 4 – 8 p.m., at the Friendship Centre

Reports and Sub-Groups

Education and Networking
– Green New Deal – John reported that the May 23rd evening was well attended (55 people) and well received. MP Gord Johns attended. Meg and John have submitted the data; next steps await the report from the national group.

-Rollin Bus Tour organized through Kairos – 27 participants toured forests and forest communities on Vancouver Island and Meares Island, including a full day in Port Alberni which ended in a potluck reception hosted by AVTTS. Good sharing of experiences.

Tonight’s video: “ Little Yellow Boots” , first installment Second installment at next meeting. – Sun Ray Foundation: BC Bills 15 and 52 present roadblocks to farmworkers living on the land.

Food Hub Group
– Minutes were circulated earlier.
– Juicing equipment purchase has been tabled for now. A dedicated Gleaning meeting is anticipated. Twin Cities Brewery is still looking into the licensing regulations for making small-batch cider with gleaned fruit.

– The Food Recovery Key Stakeholders will wait for the completion of their survey before speaking at City Council.

Cycle Alberni
– From the Traffic Advisory Committee’s June 19th meeting: an asphalt “ramp” will be built in the 10th Ave dip to allow for easier access west to Dunbar St – ICBC has funding to do consultant studies
– A small committee, with a Cycle Alberni rep, was suggested to look at options for Stamp Ave
-Guy Ciccon advised doing projects in phases, as funds are available – There were 255 school trips cycled during Bike to Work Week

Housing
– John Edmundson is not ready to make a presentation
– John: Electric charging stations at residences can be Level 1, but these are too slow for public places like Harbour Quay, where fast charging is needed.

Finances
Rob reported
$13,415.51 total bank balance, comprising
$5,151.52 general
$0.97 food hub
$800.00 Grow Local
$629.99 food hub education
$3978.21 gleaning
$3682.35 Cycle Alberni
$2668.88 Shaun Loney event

New Business

– The Social Planning Council has asked for a meeting with AVTTS to discuss partnering or merging. Consensus: Chris contact Janis Nairne to arrange a meeting of both groups to talk about common ground.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.

NEXT MEETING – JULY 17 — 6 p.m – at Char’s Landing

Current Agenda Attachments