All posts by Chris Alemany

AVTT MONTHLY MEETING – 6PM Nov 20 – MOVIE AT 7PM!

(Note this Agenda may change as members communicate additional items before the meeting is started and agenda approved)

AVTT November 20, 2019 – Preliminary Agenda – 6:00PM – Char’s Landing

  1. Acknowledgement of unceded territory – 6:00PM
  2. Greetings and Introductions – 6:05PM
  3. Movie After the Meeting –> Local Food Webs, Exploring Systems of Distribution (Films For Action series Planet Local )
  4. Approval of Agenda – 6:10PM
  5. Approval of Minutes – 6:15PM (below)
  6. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Community Mapping project – Meg/John
  7. Upcoming Events – 6:30
    • ACRD Transit meeting (happening concurrently at ACRD office! 4-7PM)
    • Seedy Saturday 2020
    • AVTTS Christmas Party, December 18 (regular meeting date)
    • Alberni Valley Farmers Institute AGM Tonight!
  8. Reports and Sub-Groups – 6:35
    • Education and Networking
    • Food Group / Food Hub
      – Gleaning
    • Cycle Alberni
      • Bike lock/valet
    • Housing
    • Watershed Protection – Fraser Response
    • Other Groups and Reports
  9. Finances – 6:50
    • Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts – Rob
  10. New Business and Other Fun Stuff! –
    • Carbon Offset Pool
  11. ADJOURN – 7:00PM

Minutes from October

                                             Alberni Valley Transition Town Society

                                             Board Meeting – October 16,  2019  

                                                                 MINUTES

  1. Acknowledgement of unceded territory – 6:00PM
  2. Greetings and Introductions – 6:05PM
    1. Present:  Chris Alemany, Laura Humphries, Rob Powelson, Dan Schubart,  Hart Haidn
  3. Movie After the Meeting –> Local Food Webs, Exploring Systems of Distribution (Films For Action series Planet Local )
  4. Approval of Agenda – 6:10PM Dan/Rob Passed
  5. Approval of Minutes – 6:15PM (below) Dan/Rob Passed
  6. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Community Mapping project – Meg/John -Rob says it is still in the works and went to the west coast. It’s not an official AVTT project but we remain interested and supportive of Meg as it relates so nicely to the work of the Society, specifically the Food Group.
  7. Upcoming Events – 6:30
    • ACRD Transit meeting (happening concurrently at ACRD office! 4-7PM)
  8. Reports and Sub-Groups – 6:35
    • Education and Networking
    • Dan is working on a number of movies.
    • Climate meeting at City:
    • Climate Damage Adaptation Workshop/Brainstorming 1200 communities are participating in these workshops
    • Hart provided a report that I will attach as minutes
    • Hart was very impressed with what he read and heard from the meeting
    • Hart related his experience in Sustainable development in saskatchewan
    • Hart suggested a educational event in coordination with other communities. How do we bridge the gap between theory and action.
    • Food Group / Food Hub
      – Gleaning – Food Hub Committee Minutes attached
       Will be setting a committee of 5-7 for managing the gleaning. Currently working on grant to replace all equipment and buy a trailer.
    • Cycle Alberni
      Moveable Bike lockup/valet – Filberg festival is the inspiration – $535 plus gst for the panels – The bike lockup would go to various community events, possibly staffed if it was a valet service or not. Group agreed and Rob will pursue.
    • Housing
    • Watershed Protection – Fraser Response
    • Minister of Forests will be releasing a “discussion booklet” on various forestry related concerns including the PFMLA, watershed issues, etc. Waiting for November release before pursuing further.
    • Other Groups and Reports
  9. Finances – 6:50
    1. Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts – Rob
  10. New Business and Other Fun Stuff! –
    1. Carbon Offset Pool
      • Rob suggests creating a community fund that people could contribute to through projects of their choosing. Rob will investigate.
      • Rob asked for a letter of support food hub.
      •  Letter authorized and provided at a later date.
  11. ADJOURN – 7:00PM

Food Hub Committee Minutes

Alberni Valley Food Hub Committee Meeting – November 13, 2019 

MINUTES
Present: Rob Powelson (Chair), Edna Cox (Recorder), Meagan Curtis, John Mayba 

Regrets: Janis Nairne 

1. Rob opened the meeting at 4 p.m. 

2. Review of minutes of previous meeting:
The gleaning honorarium has been mailed to Cheryl. The trailer is still in the works. Edna completed the hub evaluation’s follow-up interview by telephone. 

3. Community Gardens
An invitation from the City was received for a meeting with Davina Hartwell,
City Clerk, and Twyla Slonski, Deputy Clerk, to discuss the AV Food Hub’s letter. Rob has gathered a presentation folder, which will also be given to City Council. Rob and Meagan will attend the meeting. 

4. Gleaning Update
The new Gleaning Committee will meet likely early in December. A mandate and an agenda have been prepared. 

5. Cheques
As cheques are costly to reprint, Rob cautioned that if a completed cheque is lost, it will not be replaced. An honorarium of $150 will be given to Cliff Atleo for his presentation at the “Fish Are Food” Conference, November 28. Meagan made the contact. 

6. Seedy Saturday 2020
Is AVTTS going to organize this? The committee will take this question to the next AVVTS meeting. 

7. Financial Report
General: $298.95 Education $629.99 Grow Local $800 Gleaning $3457.37 The remaining $5500 for the 2019-2020 contract has not yet been received. 

8. Budget Review
The budget requested by Island Health is based on income of $5500 for the 2019-2020 contract 

(a $2000 advance has already been spent): $3300 for general expenditures and $2200 for populating and promoting the online Island Hubs’ Food Atlas. 

www.foodatlas.ca www.islandfoodhubs.ca 

9. AV Community Foundation meeting, November 14
Edna will attend to present a proposal for using the remaining funds of the food recovery and redistribution grant. 

10. “Fish Are Food”, annual Food Connections Conference, November 28 Edna will attend. 

11. Spring Workshops
The committee will research possible presenters and workshops in collaboration with Parks & Recreation. 

12. Grants
Rob and John listed potential granting sources: Van City Credit Uniuon, Tree Canada, Vancouver Foundation, Evergreen, Alberni Valley Community Foundation, Real Estate Foundation. 

13. AVTTS Christmas Party, December 18
The committee suggests that the December AVTTS meeting be a festive, fun Christmas party with food, games, music…..and will take this suggestion to the November 20th meeting. 

14. The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m. 

Next Meeting – Wednesday, December 11, 4 p.m., 4727 Pemberton Road 

AVTT MONTHLY MEETING – 6PM OCT 16 – MOVIE AT 7PM!

(Note this Agenda may change as members communicate additional items before the meeting is started and agenda approved)

AVTT October 16, 2019 – Preliminary Agenda – 6:00PM – Char’s Landing

  1. Acknowledgement of unceded territory – 6:00PM
  2. Greetings and Introductions – 6:05PM
  3. Movie After the Meeting –> Local Food Webs, Exploring Systems of Distribution (Films For Action series Planet Local )
  4. Approval of Agenda – 6:10PM
  5. Approval of Minutes – 6:15PM (below)
  6. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Community Mapping project – Meg/John
  7. Upcoming Events – 6:30
    • ACRD Transit meeting (happening concurrently at ACRD office! 4-7PM)
  8. Reports and Sub-Groups – 6:35
    • Education and Networking
    • Food Group / Food Hub
      – Gleaning
    • Cycle Alberni
      • Bike lock/valet
    • Housing
    • Watershed Protection – Fraser Response
    • Other Groups and Reports
  9. Finances – 6:50
    • Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts – Rob
  10. New Business and Other Fun Stuff! –
    • Carbon Offset Pool
  11. ADJOURN – 7:00PM

Minutes from September

                                             Alberni Valley Transition Town Society

                                             Board Meeting – September 18,  2019  

                                                                 MINUTES

Present:  Chris Alemany, Bob Brown, Edna Cox, Mark Dawson, Minnie Hornidge, Laura Humphries,

               Rob Powelson, Dan Schubart,  Lesley Shams

Chris opened the meeting at 6 p.m., acknowledging that we meet on the unceded territory of the

                Tseshaht and Hupacasath peoples.

1.  Welcome greetings were offered and introductions were made.

2.  Tonight’s film – Bill Moyers’ interview with Wendell Berry

3.  Approval of the agenda was moved by Chris, seconded by Edna. Carried.

4.  Approval of the minutes of the previous meeting, June 19th, was moved by Edna, seconded by Rob.

        Carried.

5.  Unfinished Business

         a)  Fall Fair review – Because of cost, space limitations and paucity of volunteers, we will man

                 only one booth in 2020, in the Agriculture Building, but not the Glenwood Building.

                – Set-up and take-down went well.  Electric power and wifi capability are desired.

                –  We should begin now to collect impactful visual materials which highlight what we

                are trying to accomplish, and createour own portable booth using lattice panels,  

                which could be set up at other venues.

               – Chris will send thanks to Jim Lawson and the volunteers.

         b)  Community Food Mapping – no report

         c)  Telephone numbers for current directors were collected by Chris.

         d)  Directors Insurance application – Chris, Dan and Rob will work on this and bring to the

                 next  meeting.

          e)  Social Planning Council –  No decision re AVTTS’ reply has yet been reached.

7.  Upcoming Events

          a)  Global Climate Strike, September 20 – 27 –  We need to follow the lead of young people.

                Lesley will ask Anne Ostwald if ADSS students have plans whiuch AVTTS can support.

          b)  “Adapting Together: Climate Planning” – public event, September 30,  1– 4 p.m. , City Hall   

                 Committee Room.  To attend, RSVP citypa@portalberni.ca

         c)  City Transit Committee of the Whole –  A  meeting is in the offing, TBA.

                Dan suggested the pursuit of grants for more frequent and smaller buses, better routes .

8.  Reports and Sub-groups

         a)  Education and Networking

              i) Chris will contact Amber Stroder, North Island College, about her Climate Change toolkit

                 produced for another TT.

            ii)  Chris will circulate Sheri Plummer’s request for speakers about climate change.  Sheri

                is with Communities Protecting Our Coast.  See poster at www.beyondclimate.ca

         b)  Food Group –  Minutes of September 16 meeting were circulated on line.

       c)  Cycle Alberni – no report

       d)  Housing – no report

       e) Watershed Protection —  A meeting with Scott Fraser has been requested; no date as yet.

             A petition was available for signing at the Fall Fair.

       g)  Farm and Food Workers Initiative – Chris and Bob will talk further.

9.  Finances – Rob reported the bank balance:  Main/combined account  $10, 607.19

                                                                              AVTTS                       $4,925.85

                                                                              Food Group                   $778.95

                                                                              Grow Local                   $800.00

                                                                              Food Group Education  $629.99

                                                                              Gleaning                     $3,957.37

                                                                              Shawn Loney Group  $2,668.88

10.  New Business – Bob suggested that engaging grants for children and youth programs

            might attract more younbg people to AVTTS.

11.  The meeting was adjourned at 7 p.m.

                        NEXT MEETING –  OCTOBER 2019  – 6 p.m.  – Char’s Landing