Community Food Hub Coordinator POSITION SUMMARY:
The Community Food Action Initiative (CFAI) is a health promotion initiative that aims to increase community food security for all British Columbians.
The primary objectives of the CFAI are as follows:
- ● to increase awareness of food security,
- ● improve access to local and healthy food,
- ● promote food knowledge and skills,
- ● increase community capacity to address local food security,
- ● and develop policy to support community food security.
With funding from The Ministry of Healthy Living and Sport, implementation by the five Regional Health Authorities, provincial coordination by Provincial Health Services Authority and guidance from a multi-sector, provincial advisory committee – CFAI supports actions that build food security in BC communities. Island Food Hubs is currently one project funded through Island Health.
Here in Port Alberni, Alberni Valley Transition Towns Society hosts one of five island specific Community Food Hubs funded by Island Health. As a Food Hub we are following the objectives set out in the CFAI. A community Food Hub committee was established which oversees the Community Food Hub Coordinator position, much like a board of directors, offering both support and suggestions as how to improve local food security. As the Community Food Hub Coordinator, you will be responsible for building relationships in the community that lead to improved access to healthy local food, through education, hands on activities, and policy change.
This is a work from home contract position, with minimal travel required outside of the community. When required to travel to other communities, your fuel will be compensated at .50 cents per km.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- ● Plan and attend monthly Food Group Meetings (Includes creating agenda, and submitting monthly report to AVTTS president, prior to AVTTS monthly meeting)
- ● Attend monthly AVTTS meetings and be prepared to discuss your food group report
- ● Attend bi-monthly CFAI teleconference meetings – this will include submitting your reports for
the preceding two months and reading over agenda and minutes
- ● Continue the development of local school food committee in tandem with Community
- ● Participate in all CFAI related conferences (Food Connections – Strategic Planning)
- ● Attend monthly ACRD Agricultural Development Committee meetings
- ● Continue involvement in year two of the Grow Local Program – partnership between ACRD
- ● Manage Facebook page and growth of social media presence
- ● Develop community food recovery project (in progress) with the goal of decreasing community
and grocery store food waste, resulting in increased distribution of “waste” foods to emergency
food providers / clients in need.
- ● Write grants and fundraise to increase capacity for projects and the food hub position – as well
as assisting in the development of new food related projects
- ● Support community projects with the drafting of letters of support and encourage partnerships
on projects – as agreed to by the Food Group Committee
- ● Communicate with your Food Hub Coordinator counterpart in Tofino on a monthly basis – this
position represents 1⁄2 of the regional Hub.
- ● Support the Gleaning Projects long term development
- ● Background in Community Development, Agriculture, Nutrition, Public Health, or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- ● Experience managing budgets, project management, and grant writing
- ● Understanding of local and sustainable food systems, including school food initiatives, food and
- ● Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting
- ● Ability to network with community stakeholders and build community collaboration
- ● Understanding of First Nations food systems, and cultural food practices
- ● Comfortable with social media platforms and the following software: Powerpoint, Google
- ● Experience hosting educational events
Late November 2017 until May 31st. 2018 – with possibility of renewal
Part time – Approximately 15 – 20 hours per week – will fluctuate.
All hours must be logged, with a brief description of tasks undertaken and completed. The log must be given to the AVTTS Treasurer at month-end for payment.
$22 per hour
UMBRELLA ORGANIZATION : Alberni Valley Transition Town Society
AVTTS Food Hub Committee
PLEASE APPLY TO:
Secretary, AV Transition Town Society by email: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS :
November 9th, 2017: 5:00pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.